Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: choosing between sj and more thing

From   Marcello Pagano <>
Subject   st: Re: choosing between sj and more thing
Date   Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:29:07 -0400

From: Kit Baum <>
Date: August 31, 2006 10:29:26 PM EDT
Subject: choosing between sj and more thing

Nick said

As Stas indicates, SSC and SJ are far from the only
outlets whereby user-programmers can make their
work more available.

is a list of many such sites, including that of
Stas. Those who like total independence can
still operate and advertise exactly as desired!

Also, anyone could write an analogue of -ssc-
to ease transfers from their site.

I should point out that RePEc (Research Papers in Economics), in which the SSC archive is based, inherently allows downloadable files (e.g., the program files in a package) to live anywhere on the Internet, so a RePEc template can describe Stas' package and point to his site for the download.

HOWEVER Stata's "net install" facility was designed to specifically prohibit that action. Files referenced in a Stata package file must live on the same machine. That restriction is not technical, but security-driven; in a world where many authors can no longer email me a 'foo.hlp' file, even in zipped format, Stata's security constraints are surely appropriate. Thus the necessity for anything "SSC-able" to live on the SSC server here at BC. But I should remind authors of SSC packages that while setting up a package entails some work on my part (less for a second, third... package from the same author), updating the files within it (and the package's distribution date) takes a few seconds, with drag-n-drop.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics