st: RE: IV list in ivreg and ivreg2: procedure to test for endogeinity of added variable if one of the original variables is endogenous?

Subject   st: RE: IV list in ivreg and ivreg2: procedure to test for endogeinity of added variable if one of the original variables is endogenous?
Date   Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:09:41 +0100

Robert,

In the orthog test in

> ivreg2 Y  (X_originalEndogenous = INSTRUMENTS) X_1, X_..., X_added
> orthog(X_added)

you are in effect contrasting

ivreg2 Y  (X_originalEndogenous = INSTRUMENTS) X_1, X_..., X_added

with

> ivreg2 Y  (X_originalEndogenous X_added = INSTRUMENTS) X_1, X_...

The difference is that in the first example, the orthogonality
conditions include X_added, so the J stat is a test of the orthogonality
conditions for INSTRUMENTS and X_added.

In the second case, they don't, so the J stat is a test of the
orthogonality conditions for just INSTRUMENTS.

In neither case are you using orthogonality conditions relating to
X_originalEndogenous.  So ... it's very clear - the
C/difference-in-Sargan/GMM distance test is a test of the extra
orthogonality conditions relating to X_added.

Note that the second specification is identical to your other equation,

> ivreg2 Y  (X_added  X_originalEndogenous = INSTRUMENTS) X_1, X_...

and thus the J stat for this equation is one of the two J stats used to
form the C stat.  (In fact, it's asymptotically but not numerically the
same - for details see the Baum-Schaffer-Stillman paper listed in the