RE: st: Integrating Stata and external text editors

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Integrating Stata and external text editors
Date   Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:27:25 +0100

David's doubt appears correct. Posting listings that are long
or that contain some long lines is always dangerous and in this
case the code appears mangled in both Harvard and StataCorp
archives for Statalist.

Beyond that, the import of this posting is unclear to me.
NoteTab code is posted here, but David declares that
he will not give support on learning NoteTab. I have
every sympathy for that, but

Is _this_ code supported?

Is it intended to be self-documenting?

I note incidentally that the list of -egen- functions is out-of-date.

As the maintainer of an FAQ
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html
I aspire to collate all valuable information in
this territory, but as a courtesy both to those
too busy to document or support their code and
to those who will have questions that cannot be answered
I do not think it fair to publicise within that FAQ
code posted in this way. That is a signal to others
who may be tempted to make similar postings.

That aside, I recommend against posting code
and declaring that it will not be supported.
Persons who do not wish, or who lack the time,
to support code should not publicise it!

(It is, as said, unclear to me whether this
posting satisfies that criterion, but my
recommendation floats free of that detail.)

David Elliott