RE: st: clogit marginal effects?

From   "James Marton" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: clogit marginal effects?
Date   Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:55:22 -0400

Hi Arne

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a spreadsheet that estimates the clogit
marginal effects manually.  I will try your approach and compare.

I was hoping there was a way to use the mfx commands in STATA so that the
marginal effects would be estimated directly and the significance tests for
the marginal effects would be presented as well.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Arne Risa Hole
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:52 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: clogit marginal effects?

Hi James

As far as I can see the marginal effects can be calculated in the same
way as for the multinomial logit model in this case (see e.g. Greene,
2003, pp. 722, for the formula). In the case of the 'female' variable
an alternative approach is to simply calculate the difference in the
probability of choosing a car of a particular nationality assuming the
respondents are female/male, i.e. marginal effect = prob(assuming
female) - prob(assuming male). The program below demonstrates the two
approaches using the choice.dta dataset.

Hope this helps.

Arne

use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r9/choice.dta

gen usa = (car == 1)
gen japan = (car == 2)
gen europe = (car == 3)
gen female = (sex == 0)
gen femJap = female*japan
gen femEur = female*europe
gen incJap = income*japan
gen incEur = income*europe

qui clogit choice japan europe femJap femEur incJap incEur dealer, group(id)

/* Predicted probabilities by nationality */
predict double prob
sort id, stable
by id: egen double prob_USA = sum(prob*usa)
by id: egen double prob_Jap = sum(prob*japan)
by id: egen double prob_Eur = sum(prob*europe)

/* Individual-specific marginal effects for variable female */

gen double meff_fem = prob_USA*(-_b[femJap]*prob_Jap -
_b[femEur]*prob_Eur) if usa == 1
replace meff_fem = prob_Jap*(_b[femJap] - _b[femJap]*prob_Jap -
_b[femEur]*prob_Eur) if japan == 1
replace meff_fem = prob_Eur*(_b[femEur] - _b[femJap]*prob_Jap -
_b[femEur]*prob_Eur) if europe == 1

/* Average marginal effects for variable female */

sum meff_fem if usa == 1
sum meff_fem if japan == 1
sum meff_fem if europe == 1

/* Alternative individual-specific marginal effects for variable female */

/* Predicted probabilities by nationality, all respondents assumed male */
replace femJap = 0
replace femEur = 0
predict double mprob

/* Predicted probabilities by nationality, all respondents assumed female */
replace femJap = japan
replace femEur = europe
predict double fprob

/* Difference in probabilities, female-male */
gen double meff_fem2 = fprob-mprob

/* Alternative average marginal effects for variable female */

sum meff_fem2 if usa == 1
sum meff_fem2 if japan == 1
sum meff_fem2 if europe == 1