st: Re: RE: Regression and "what-if" predictions

From   "Christer Thrane" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Regression and "what-if" predictions
Date   Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:02:27 +0200

Thanks for your advice, Steven.

The problem with the automatic procedures is that they are designed for (repeated) cross-sectional models, and not for panel regression models.

As regards the manual sollution, do you mean somthing like:

1.

use wagedata ...
drop if male==0
drop male

collapse (mean) edyears exp expsq nrchild (max) married year

save wagedata_men ...

This generates the married male in year 2002 with average values on the remaining variables.

2.

use wagedata ...

xtreg logwage edyears exp expsq married if male==0, re cluster(lpnr)

This is the wage model for women.

3.

use wagedata_men ...

predict lwhat

list lwhat

This gets me the logwage for a married male in year 2002 with average values on the remaining variables given the women's regression coefficients???

Am I on to something here?

BR

Christer

Professor Christer Thrane