st: non negative and integer - ipolate and epolate

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: non negative and integer - ipolate and epolate
Date   Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:48:59 +0100

Samira Reis had difficulty sending this to the list.

My own suggestion -- so long as all values are positive --
is that Samira should consider logging, interpolating
on the logarithmic scale and then antilogging.

Or take square roots -- that doesn't ensure positive
values either, but there are several grounds for
regarding square roots as "first aid" (Tukey) for
count.

I would be less worried about integer values myself.

Samira Reis [mailto:[email protected]]

Hi Stata users,

I have a data set from 1980 to 2003 with some missing values for both
dependent and independent variables. I tried using ipolate command in
stata to get values and I used:

by reg: ipolate ent year, gen (ient) epolate.

The problem was that I obtained quite a few negative values and my
variables can not be negative and my dependent variable must be integer
as well. Could anybody help me to find out a
correct way to deal with that, please?