From   "Solis, Jennifer N" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: ptrend for adjusted ORs
Date   Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:41:42 -0500

What is the test name for this?

From: on behalf of Svend Juul
Sent: Mon 8/28/2006 10:56 AM
Subject: RE: st: ptrend for adjusted ORs

After the exchange below, Jennifer asked:

Are you referring to the OR and P-value that is given after the ptl after the second logistic?

Yes, that's it. In the second command, -ptl- is handled as a continuous variable; it has the actual values 1, 2, 3, 4. Of course, the validity of the trend test depends on the shape of the association between -ptl- and -low-  -- as is the case for any trend test.

Jennifer wrote:
I am trying to calculate the ptrend for an adjusted OR.
I know that the command ptrend or ptrendi works for my
crude OR, but is there a way to include the other
variables that I am adjusting with.
Try this:
   webuse lbw.dta, clear
   xi: logistic low i.ptl i.race i.smoke
   xi: logistic low ptl i.race i.smoke
The first -logistic- command displays the 4-category
-ptl- as 3 dummy variables. In the second you get a
single OR, and it can be interpreted as a trend test,
adjusted for race and smoke.

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark