Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: How to make macro variables last an entiresession?

From   <>
Subject   st: How to make macro variables last an entiresession?
Date   Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:54:01 -0500 (CDT)

I was wondering if anyone knows how to define or save macro variables so they last for an entire stata session and not just while the do-file is running. I've been defining macro variables  as is below with the local command where the command `base' substitutes for all the variables in quotes below for example. But if I run the local command, and then later highlight some line of code with `base' and "do" it, then Stata no longer associates `base' with the set of variables. Anyone know any ways around this problem? I've tried saving using global macros and that doesn't seem to help.

local base "lncgdp s n popuned popprimed popseced pophighed openc"

regress `base'

Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
1301 West Gregory Drive
405 Mumford Hall
Urbana, IL 61801