Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: pseudo-r^2 in tobit regression

From   "Scott Merryman" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: pseudo-r^2 in tobit regression
Date   Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:04:23 -0500

-search tobit r2- points to the FAQ: "Why is the pseudo-R2 for tobit negative or greater than one?" which states, in part,

"For many models, including tobit, the pseudo-R2 has no real meaning.

This formula for pseudo-R2 is nothing more than a reworking of the model chi-squared, which is 2(L1 − L0). Thus even for discrete distributions where 0 ≤ pseudo R2 ≤ 1, it is still better to report the model chi-squared and its p-value—not the pseudo-R2."