RE: st: the meaning of 'foo'

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: the meaning of 'foo'
Date   Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:21:30 +0100

It has plenty to do with Stata.

I quite often write little programs or do files with names
like foo.ado or foo.do. The implication to myself
is that I know I will not want to keep those
files in the long run, so I just can delete them
if I am cleaning up a directory without checking inside.
Of course, I have only myself to blame if foo.ado
turned into something useful; and there are many
ways of doing something similar.

Again, as Statalist should just be plain text,
and we shouldn't use italic,
such variables can help in communication. The implication
is that if I write "foo", you should substitute "wage"
or "survival" or whatever it is in your problem.

Except that in Stata contexts "mpg" serves the same
purpose! "mpg" stands for Mr President Gould.

Michael S. Hanson