Statalist The Stata Listserver


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]

st: Help with string problem


From   Fred Wolfe <fwolfe@arthritis-research.org>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Help with string problem
Date   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:36:25 -0500

Someone sent me a list of IDs (apatkey)for participants registered in our
databank. They sent an Excel file (alas). I pasted it into Stata and later
used StatTransfer, both with the same result.

What I did was to save the IDs sent to me. Then I -used- my databank and
merged the new data in. The problem was that the merge didn't work as
people with the same apatkey didn't merge. Tracing this down, I found that
the length of the merged variable was different from the master variable.
It would seem that there are hidden characters in the case where _merge == 2.

Questions. Does anyone know how to see those hidden characters? Is this a
known problem with the hated Excel?

. replace apatkey=trim(apatkey)
. l apat greger _merge length if index(apatkey, "CLE210928")

        +-----------------------------------------+
        |      apatkey   greger   _merge   length |
        |-----------------------------------------|
28469. |    CLE210928        .        1        9 |
74437. | CLE210928           1        2       12 |
        +-----------------------------------------+

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel +1 316 263 2125
fwolfe@arthritis-research.org


*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/



© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index