Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: looping over all files in a folder

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: looping over all files in a folder
Date   Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:54:59 +0100

You certainly should not be copying and pasting
stuff to do this.
Dimitriy Masterov already drew attention
to the extended macro function -: dir-
for this.
In addition, -fs- from SSC puts filenames in a macro.
It is a wrapper for that e.m.f.
-fs- was named by analogy with -ds-. In
each case, the obvious output is a compact
list in the Results window, but the really
useful output is the macro left in memory.
cd /mydir/interestingstuff
qui fs *
foreach f in `r(files)' {
Radu Ban