From   "stata_user stata_user" <stata_dofile@hotmail.co.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   RE: st: RE: standardized parameter for dichotmious variable in a regr
Date   Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:32:33 +0100

Thanks Maarten
Is this means that we cannot take into account of the standardized coefficient of a dichotomious variable, I want to say that we can only compare between the standardized coefficients of continuous variables in order to see which one the most associated with the dependent variable

S.

From: "Maarten Buis" <M.Buis@fsw.vu.nl>
To: <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject: st: RE: standardized parameter for dichotmious variable in a regr
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:59:45 +0200

A standardized coefficient shows by how much y changes for a standard deviation
change in x. Lets say your dummy represents whether or not someone is female,
than the standardized coefficient says how much y changes if a person becomes
one standard deviation more female. So even if Stata can, it does not make sense.

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam