Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Stata MP and Windows Server

From   "Tim R. Sass" <>
Subject   st: Stata MP and Windows Server
Date   Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:16:46 -0400

I am running Stata MP (licensed for 8 processors) on a machine with four dual-core opteron CPUs (8 cores in all). The OS is Windows Server 2003, standard edition. Despite Microsoft's original claims, Windows task manager only indicates 4 processors and Stata will not let me set procs_use to more than four processors with the current setup.

I am considering changing the OS to Windows Server Enterprise Edition, but want to make sure this will solve the problem before I go ahead. Is anyone out there running Stata MP on an 8-core machine using Windows? If so, what flavor of Windows do you use?

Tim R. Sass
Professor Voice: (850)644-7087
Department of Economics Fax: (850)644-4535
Florida State University E-mail:
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2180 Internet:

* For searches and help try: