st: RE: RE: how to cluster with ivprobit with two-step option?

Subject   st: RE: RE: how to cluster with ivprobit with two-step option?
Date   Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:31:20 +0100

Jennifer,

The outline of your model is:

1a.  Eqn(s) for endogenous regressors in selection eqn.

1b.  Selection equation, explicitly modelled with endogenous regressors.

2a.  Eqn(s) for endogenous regressors in outcome eqn.

2b.  Outcome eqn suffers from selection bias (2a) and endogeneity bias
(1b).

If the equation of interest is the outcome equation of the selection
model, it isn't clear that you need to estimate explicitly the selection
equation explicitly, i.e., 1a and 1b.  In other words, you're talking in
terms of estimating a system of equations, but you may only need to
worry about just the outcome equation.  If that's the case, then, for
example, the excluded instruments you were thinking of using in (1a) and
(1b) to instrument for the endogenous regressors in the selection
equation could be used directly as the exclusion restrictions in the
Heckman-type estimation in (2b).  Or, put another way, the probit first
stage in the selection estimation can be a reduced form estimation with
just the exogenous regressors.

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK