From   "Christer Thrane" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Limited dependent variable
Date   Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:42:45 +0200

I think this should be modelled as a multinomial logit, it's either a win, a tie, or a loss--I see no ordering here--hence -mlogit-. To take account of several observations per unit (the panel structure), use the -cluster- option.

If you are willling to dicotomize the dep var (say win versus loose or tie), you could use -xtlogit-.

There exists, as far as I know, no xt-variant for mlogit in Stata.

Professor Christer Thrane
Department of Social Science
Lillehammer University College
2626 Lillehammer, Norway
+ 47 61 28 81 70 (fax)
+ 47 61 28 82 47 (phone, work)
+ 47 61 25 53 04 (phone, home)
E-mail, work:
E-mail, home:

----- Original Message ----- From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:51 PM
Subject: st: Limited dependent variable

Dear stata community,

I am working with panel data and have a dependent variable that can take on 3
possible values of 0, 0.5 or 1. The dependent variable represents a wins
percentage with 1 representing a win, 0.5 representing a tie and 0 reflecting a
loss. I wish to regress this wins percentage variable on several explanatory

From reading through the FAQs and stata help facilities my understanding is that
this falls within the domain of a generalized linear model. Is it correct to use
-xtgee- and if so what option should I choose for the family and link choices?
Or should I be adopting a different approach?

Many thanks in advance.

* For searches and help try: