Re: st: label / macro problem

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: label / macro problem
Date   Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:17:34 -0400

Thanks to Austin Nichols and Evan Roberts for pointing out an obvious
work around - collapsing the files, joining them, generating the encoding
from this small file, and then applying the coding to each of the original
files.

Jeph

Austin Nichols wrote:
Jeph--
Trying to conserve memory and maximize speed,
I suggest something like:

foreach F of numlist 1/84 {
use mystring using file`F', clear
bys mystr: drop if _n>1
save temp`F', replace
}
use temp1, clear
foreach F of numlist 2/84 {
append using temp`F', clear
erase temp`F'
}
erase temp1
bys mystring: drop if _n>1
encode mystring, gen(myint)
lab save myint using myint.do
foreach F of numlist 1/84 {
use mystring using file`F', clear
do myint
encode mystring, gen(myint) label(myint)
save newfile`F', replace
}

If you want to see what is going on with your local macros, just
-display- them at various points in your program, but the above skips
the use of long-winded macros.

If you acquire a new file, you can always:
use mystring using file85, clear
do myint
encode mystring, gen(myint) label(myint)
lab save myint using myint2.do