From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: decimal years
Date   Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:30:57 +0100

Theological and cosmological preoccupations aside,
there was no year zero, meaning either 0 AD or 0 BCE.

The concept of zero only reached the West much
later than the AD/BC system was introduced by Dionysus
Exiguus (= Denis the Skinny), as I recall, not to
imply that I was there at the time.

No doubt for some centuries after that various smart asses
found the idea of a symbol representing nothing incoherent
but seemingly every grade school student introduced to
the number line can transcend that.

Austin Nichols