st: RE: Secular trends

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Secular trends
Date   Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:33:35 +0100

This sounds, deep down, to be a logit model problem
with -cc- as response. Or is it a covariate?

The first question is what the covariates should be.

You also need to consider quite what independence
or dependence assumptions you are entertaining. It
seems sensible to use a panel structure here for wards.

As a point of terminology, your tribe may differ, but tribes
whose literatures I read regard (secular) "trend" as long-term and
as distinct from "seasonality". That doesn't rule out the
seasonal effect varying secularly.

A naive model would have (a) month of year and
(b) year as covariates. If you find effects under
(a) or (b) you need to consider whether the model
deserves a time series flavour.

McFarland, Lynne V