Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: identification diagnostics for ml estimation?

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <>
Subject   Re: st: identification diagnostics for ml estimation?
Date   Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:18:46 -0500

No. The only diagnostics you could have from -ml- itself is that the
likelihood is not concave at the last iteration. -ml- is way too
general to look into those issues; they are up to the researcher to
determine, and code properly. Besides, there are models that are
underidentified only for certain parameter combinations (and
empirically underidentified near them), such as y=b_0 + b_1 x^b_2
which is underID when b_1==0 (value of b_2 cannot be determined) or
b_2 == 0 (only b_0+b_1 is identified).