Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: gidecomposition...problems

To   "" <>
Subject   st: gidecomposition...problems
Date   Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:53:14 -0400

I used that command last year and usually, when this happens,
it means you are using the same dataset.

What you should do is something like:

u mydata // this is a "pooled data"

keep if (region==1 & some other rules)
sa usingI_1989, replace

restore, preserve
keep if (region~=1 & some other rules)

gidecomposition using  usingI_1989 , etc...

restore // back to original data

 dear  all,
 i am using the gidecomposition program in stata 9 to decompose the
 in poverty into the 3 effects. the outcome I get looks like this:
 Growth and Inequality Poverty Decomposition
 Base year 1        Base year         2           Average effect
 Poverty rate (P0)           100.000        100.000
 Change in P0                 0.000         0.000                         0.000
 Growth component             0.000         0.000                         0.000
 Redistribution component     0.000         0.000                         0.000
 Interaction component        0.000         0.000                         0.000
 that is, it is as stata does not recognize any changes in the
 Head-Count. I
 canceled out from my original dataset all the variables not needed, and
 kept only Head-Count for each region (I have 19 italian region, for
 i will use "if"), year and gini coefficient..
 could you tell me why stata does not reply as it was supposed? Am I
 something wrong? for instance should I set some description of the
 distribution or of the data??
 the command I used to implement the decomposition is:
 gidecomposition using "C:\Documents and
 Settings\Vicius\Desktop\MAData\decomposition\usingI_1989.dta" if
 region==1, var1(rHC) var2(rHC) pline1(povline) pline2(povline) hc
 thanks a lot
 warm regards, vincenzo
 Vincenzo Lombardo
 University of Sussex, Dept. of Economics
 University of Napoli Parthenope, DSE
 12 Canfield Road
 BN2 4DN Brighton - UK
 tel. (UK):++44(0)7765991711