Re: st: EM algorithm

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: EM algorithm
Date   Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:27:00 -0500

If you can write down the likelihood, you don't really need the EM
algorithm. Just code this with -ml-. (I've done this for univariate
mixtures years ago... for Stata 6, if not Stata 5). EM is a nice trick
that gives you faster convergence, but without the standard errors.
-ml- is going to take somewhat longer, but it is so well written and
tested that it is worth a little waiting, compared to writing your own
EM algorithm from scratch.