Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: cluster analysing a distance matrix

From   "Martin, Peter" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: cluster analysing a distance matrix
Date   Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:34:42 +0100

Hello there,

Is it possible to use STATA for cluster analysis of a distance matrix?
I know you can use STATA to cluster analyse cases with respect to a set
of variables - distances here are created as part of STATAs "cluster"
command. However, how do I cluster analyse data that are already given
in the form of a distance matrix? (SPSS can do this, but crashes when
the distance matrix is larger than about 10,000 by 10,000.)

I'd be grateful for any tips.