RE: st: RE: a question on testing for random effect model against fixed effect model

From   "Jian Zhang" <[email protected]>
To   "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: a question on testing for random effect model against fixed effect model
Date   Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:35:19 -0700 (PDT)

Dear  Mark,

Thanks for your comments!

Sorry for my late response.  Here are the results reported by Stata:

First I run: xtreg earned_inc t1 t2 t3 t4 t5 cadre membership edu2 edu3 edu4, re i(xhn)

Then I store the results of the random effect model: estimates store random

Then I run fixed effect model: xtreg earned_inc t3 t4 t5 t6 t7 cadre membership edu2 edu3
edu4, fe i(xhn)

Finally I do the hausman test: hausman . random, sigmaless

The results reported by Stata are as follows:

	---- Coefficients ----
	(b)          (B)            (b-B)     sqrt(diag(V_b-V_B))
	.          random       Difference          S.E.

t3	-27.42538    -26.08845       -1.336927               .
t4	-28.17475    -31.47857        3.303822               .
t5	-64.7231    -63.43336       -1.289746        .4918778
cadre	44.64596     57.50894       -12.86298        7.411722
membership	-10.44655     2.795032       -13.24158        8.840997
edu2	24.21366     57.38761       -33.17395        6.615227
edu3	83.88996     129.8966       -46.00666        7.334445
edu4	132.2866     207.6196       -75.33295        11.79708

	b = consistent under Ho and Ha; obtained from xtreg
B =	inconsistent under Ha, efficient under Ho; obtained from xtreg

Test:  Ho:	difference in coefficients not systematic

	chi2(8) = (b-B)'[(V_b-V_B)^(-1)](b-B)
	=      256.13
	Prob>chi2 =      0.0000
	(V_b-V_B is not positive definite)

It says that V_b-V_B is not positive definite, although chi2 is positive.

I pretty much figure out what is going on.  In my re model i use dummies t1 t2 t3 t4 and t5 while
in my fe model i use dummies t3 t4 t5 t6 t7.  This means that the two models have different sets
of left-hand variables.  I did this on purpose to figure out why stata reported a postive chi2 but
states that V_b-V_B is not positive .

What I found is that   When stata states V_b-V_B are not positve definite, the variance-covariance
matrix (V_b-V_B) that stata refers to is the varaiance-covariance matrix for ALL coefficients (in
my case: t1 t2 t3 t4 t5 t6 t7 cadre membership  edu2 edu3 edu4).  Since in the re model, there
are no variables t6 and t7; in the fe model there are no  t1 and t2.   This leads to v(b)-v(B) for ALL
coefficients not positive definite.   However the variance-covariance matrix v(b)-v(B) that stata
used for calculating chi2 is the one for the coefficients that appear in BOTH models (in my case:
t3 t4 t5 cadre membership edu2 edu3 edu4).  This one is in fact positive definite.  I calculated
the chi2 by hand using this variance-covariance matrix.  I got the exactly same chi2 as stata
reported.

In my real case, since I have so many dummies( about 400 ), when I do re regression or fe
regressions, due to collinearity or other reasons,  some variables are droped.  This leads to that
the two regressions do not have  a same set of left-hand variables.  Thus v(b)-v(B) for ALL
coefficients  is not positive definite.  However, the v(b)-v(B) that stata uses for calculating Chi
square is the variance covariance matrix of the coefficients that exist in both re and fe model.

Best regards,
Jian