st: RE: Random effects and pooled models

Subject   st: RE: Random effects and pooled models
Date   Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:28:27 +0100

Elena,

This comes up on the list from time to time, e.g.,

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-02/msg00644.html

The intuition isn't hard: sigma_u=0 means no variance in the cohort
effect, which means they all have the same intercept, which means ...
OLS.

Different random-effects estimators will give you different estimates of
sigma_u.  Try the others (sa and ml options) and see what you get.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes