Re: st: -reshape-, or "is there an easier way to reshape my datathan how I am doing it?"

From   John Fulton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -reshape-, or "is there an easier way to reshape my datathan how I am doing it?"
Date   Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:05:35 -0700

Maybe I misunderstand the question but this is doable by collapse:

collapse (max) gbm-gwf,by(year fip age)

assuming you're going from this:
     | year   fip   age       gbm       gbf      gwm      gwf |
  1. | 1983     1    15    data        .        .        . |
  2. | 1983     1    15         .    data        .        . |
  3. | 1983     1    15         .         .    data        . |
  4. | 1983     1    15         .         .        .      data |
to this:
     | year   fip   age       gbm       gbf      gwm      gwf     |
     |----------------------------------------------------------------|
  1. | 1983     1    15    data        data      data      data  |

John.

Scott Cunningham wrote:
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use reshape with the data in the form I currently have it in.

DATA: 1982-2004 CDC data on gonorrhea rates by age cohort, race, sex and state

| year fip race sex gr age |
|---------------------------------------------|

where:

year int %8.0g YEAR
fip byte %8.0g State FIPS codes
race byte %8.0g W=1, B=2
sex byte %8.0g M=1, F=2
gr float %9.0g Gonorrhea Rate (per 100,000)
age float %9.0g Age Cohort

I need to use -reshape- to transform the data into a format that will allow me to estimate various panel models. I am going to merge other demographic data to this dataset, but that I can do. What I cannot do is figure out how to get -reshape- to work here. When I simply use -reshape-, I am told that I have fip/year that do not uniquely identify. I know this, of course. So, I thought that what I could do was create a race, gender and state specific gonorrhea rate. So I did that. It looked like this:

| year fip age gbm gbf gwm gwf |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|

where gbm is "gonorrhea rates for black males," gbf for black females, gwm for white males, and gwf for white females. I then -preserve- the data, keep only the one of the age cohorts (15-19 year olds initially), drop the age variable, and then try to -reshape- again. But this doesn't work, because I have four fip observations for every year, that looks like this:

| year fip age gbm gbf gwm gwf |
1. | 1983 1 15 data . . . |
2. | 1983 1 15 . data . . |
3. | 1983 1 15 . . data . |
4. | 1983 1 15 . . . data |

I need to collapse these observations so that it looks like this:

| year fip age gbm gbf gwm gwf |
1. | 1983 1 15 data data data data |

But neither -fillin- nor -collapse- appear to do the trick.

MY QUESTION: How do I collapse the data like the above? Secondly, is there a more efficient way to take my data in its original format and create a panel without having to create 9 different age-specific panels which I will merge later?*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/