Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: FW: argmax for -summaraize-

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: FW: argmax for -summaraize-
Date   Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:29:08 -0500

Hello - Does anyone know an efficient way to identify the observation at
which a particular variable is minimum or maximum (subject to `if'
and/or `in') ?

Apparently -summarize- does not return this value. I see nothing in
-egen- nor  does "findit argmax" produce anything. I can program this
myself by looping through the observations but that is not efficient. In
particular one cannot gurantee that anything like

summ x
local xmax=r(max)
if x = `xmax' {

will work because of rounding. I also wish to avoid -preserve-,
-collapse-, etc

Al Feiveson