Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: ivhettest: heteroskedastic IV in panel estimation

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: ivhettest: heteroskedastic IV in panel estimation
Date   Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:56:22 +0100

But if there is heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation, then xtreg,re is
not efficient, so the Hausman test is invalid.  Or am I missing

> 2)then, taking into account the fact the the above
> estimations do not consider the presence of
> heteroskedasticity and correlation (xtivreg and xtreg are not
> allowed for this), i am using ivreg2, gmm (because it has
> been showed that in this cases GMM is more efficient than IV)
> with robust-cluster option.

Shouldn't you use xtivreg2 instead of ivreg2?  The former is a wrapper
for the latter but gets things like degrees-of-freedom adjustments
right.  Or you can use ivreg2 but with explicit fixed effects dummies.

> 3) QUESTION: can I use after step 2, above, the command
> ivhettest to demostrate the presence of heteroskedasticity in
> the second model, even if my dataset is panel?

Actually, this is a reason to use ivreg2 with explicit dummies.
ivhettest won't work after xtivreg2, but will work after ivreg2 with

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK