Re: st: Fixed effects vs. Random effects

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Fixed effects vs. Random effects
Date   Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:40:38 -0400

Sorry to enter very late in the discussion, but let's make a difference
between Conditional Logit and FE-logit. For the first you need
changes in your dependent variable to identify the effect for a particular
cross-sectional unit. Otherwise the unit will be remove it from the
analysis.
You say that yout T=3, it is very short but I suggest you to chech the
changes over time -table id year, c(N depvar). Also running -clogit- or
-xtlogit, fe- you will see this at the begin of the output.

FE-logit is directly logit+dummies. Incidental parameters generate a bias
in the estimation that can be adjusted by different methods (see Arellano
and Hahn 2005 "Understanding..." in Manuel Arellano's webpage).
Without the adjustment the bias can be huge (see for example in
William Greene's webpage "The bias of fixed-effects estimator in
nonlinear models" Table 2).

I prefer FE instead of RE. RE has the assumption of no-correlation with
other regressor which is very hard to believe. In addition, if your still
have
some theoretical reason to do RE don't forget to check the quadrature.
If the model changes with the quadrature the approximation of very poor
and you can use the RE estimation.

Rodrigo.