Re: st: scalar question

Subject   Re: st: scalar question
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:04:37 -0400

I don't think this suggested approach will handle missing values properly since it will treat them as zeros added to the row sums and give no indication of a reduced number of observations.

Getting back to the original approach. I'm not sure if you wouldn't be better off with a reshape long to get what you want, but if you keep with the current approach, I would change the middle of the loop to :

summarize V`i', meanonly
scalar average_V`i'= r(mean)
scalar z= z + cond( average_V`i'<. , average_V`i',0)

The cond() function will avoid adding a missing value into your sum (but it will replace it with 0). You may want to count how many missing values you end up with (in another scalar counter). I also added the meanonly topion to the summarize command to make it faster

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- "Radu Ban" <[email protected]> wrote

you can try the -egen rsum- command and then take the mean, as the sum
of means is equal to mean of sums. for example:

egen rowsum = rsum(V*)
summarize rowsum
scalar z = r(mean)
drop rowsum