Re: st: Fixed effects vs. Random effects

From   "Vera E. Troeger" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fixed effects vs. Random effects
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:04:04 +0100 (BST)

Shon,

you should defenitely run a Hausman test first to test whether the strict
exogeneity assumption of RE is met. otherwise RE is anyway not appropriate
and produces biased estimates and you should do a FE model. at least this
would be econometrically sound.
however, problem with FE is that it produces very inefficient and
therefore unreliable estimates if the between variation of (some of) your
right hand side variables is much larger than the within variation since
FE does not use the between variance because variables are demeaned.
there is a whole discussion going on (see Beck and Katz vs. Green, Kim and
Yoon in IO 2001) whether FE "throws out the baby with the bath water"
especially in binary choice models...

however if hausman test reveals that RE is producing biased estimates
because orthogonality between x and the unit specific effects is not given
(and this is almost always the case with real data - there is correlation
between the ui and at least some x), then there is no choice than using
FE.

Vera
_______________________________________
Vera E. Troeger