st: Re: RE: manipulating string variables

Subject   st: Re: RE: manipulating string variables
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:08:16 -0400

One caveat about using the functions subinstr() and index() or strpos() is that they will truncate strings longer than 244 characters and potentially produce incorrect results. You should look at similar macro extended functions -- subinstr and word come to mind -- check out -help extended_fcn-. You may also find the macro extended list functions quite useful as they will compare and subtract and manipulate long string lists quite easily -- see -help macrolists-.

Michael Blasnik

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jean Eid
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 10:22 AM
To: stata
Subject: st: manipulating string variables

I have been trying to do the following with no luck (This is a
simplification rather than exact procedure needed)

Suppose I declare a global variable
global myglobal "hello world, how are you today"

now what I want to do is the following:
a) see whether the string text today exist in $myglobal
b) replace "today" by "tomorrow"
c) instead of "are" I need to change the "a" to "b" let's say.

I know this does not make sense to you right now but I have all these
regressions defined as global variables and need to manipulate them.

Can this be done in Stata?

I have checked strmatch and the likes but am not able to work it. I am
looking for something like grep, sub and the likes in Linux.

If you know how to do this Please provide a workable example.