st: RE: RE: manipulating string variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: manipulating string variables
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:37:39 +0100

To Alex's clear exposition two footnotes can be added.

1. In Stata terminology, these are not variables at
all, but (global) macros.

2. In Stata 9, -index()- is documented as -strpos()-.

Alex Ogan

> Here are some basic examples:
>
> . clear
>
> . global testglobal "hello world, how are you today"
>
> . display "$testglobal"
> hello world, how are you today
>
> . display index("$testglobal","you")
> 22
>
> . display index("$testglobal","me")
> 0
>
> . global testglobal2 = subinstr("$testglobal","today","tomorrow",.)
>
> . display "$testglobal2"
> hello world, how are you tomorrow

Jean Eid