Re: st: importing data from excel

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: importing data from excel
Date   Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:48:27 +0200

Julia wrote:

after having imported data from Excel, I noticed that for some variables
Stata cutted the decimal places and considered these variables as two
seperate variables.
E.g. Var1: 15,25 --> Var1: 15, Var2: 25
Strangely, this does not happen to all comma-containing variables
(although they all have the same format in Excel). Anyone a clue why this
happens and what can be done about it?
---------------------------------------

Keto suggested to replace commas by periods in the Excel file. This would
work only for text cells, not for numeric cells.

Ron=E1n recommended to either to change Excel to display decimal periods,
or tell Stata to display decimal commas (-set dp comma-).

I assume we work in Windows. You don't change the Excel settings but
the Windows settings to display decimal periods. In Windows XP it is:
     [Start] > Settings > Control panel > Regional and Language Options

Stata would never understand decimal commas in input, so the solution
is to choose the Windows settings to display decimal periods.

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6