RE: st: Spanish characters in variable names?

From   "Anderson, Bradley J" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Spanish characters in variable names?
Date   Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:27:33 -0400

Thanks Ron�n,

That looks like it'll be more convenient than my work around.  The Access
database has lots of tables in which data are stored so getting it ready for
analysis is pretty repetitive and tedious.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Ron�n Conroy
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Spanish characters in variable names?

On 19 I�il 2006, at 17:10, Anderson, Bradley J wrote:

> Is there any way of entering this name directly into either the
> command
> window or a .do file directly?  My work around is basically to copy
> and
> paste for each special character.  The problem is there are lots of
> variables with special characters and I'm trying to automate the
> process.

I often get data files with unhelpful names. I usually grab the
variable names and put them into a spreadsheet as the second column.
I put my own variable name in the third column, and in the first I
put the word 'rename'.

Copied as plain text, this makes a do-file, but it also leaves behind
a lookup table that tells me what each variable was originally called.

I have, of course, no wish to allege that spanish is unhelful! �Dios
mio - se va armar un lio espantoso!

=========
Ron�n Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland