RE: st: Help for 3rd tier users of stata

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Help for 3rd tier users of stata
Date   Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:06:01 +0000

Woody,

What you are implying had been mooted at least a couple of times this year (and a number of times in the past). I think the bottom line (for now), the list would stay as is.

There are some suggestions:

Jens Lauritsen suggested that locally you set-up Stata users club where people can exchange tips/aggravations and thus learn from each other.

Otherwise use the manuals esp. [R], -help- and -findit-. These can be supplemented by "googling" (prefix your seach with the term "stata" or "googling" public newsgroups (method of the latter of which just completely skipped my mind at the moment!) and that is how I would tackle searching Stata personally.

Additionally, you might want to build-up snippets of codes collection you gather from lurking in the newsgroup that might prove of use to you in a later date.

At the end of day, you may/will need to ask regardless, then do ask. The worst is you'll either get  ignored or you get sterned rebuffed but on the other hand you might get helps. One thing for sure, if you don't ask, you'll never get the answer (if you haven't already found it in the meantime of course). But if you do post, please try to follow the FAQ's.

I know this is just a general spiel but hope this will help somewhat.

regards,
bw

> To: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:11:32 -0400
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: st: Help for 3rd tier users of stata
>
> Not being a power user of Stata, and not even being a
> second tier user, I sympathize with the plight of
> those questioners who ask really basic questions
> about things like statistical tests for medians.  I
> learn a lot from these questions.  And, to be honest,
> I am completely flummoxed by searching the archives
> and would not know enough to use "median test" as my
> search phrase.
>
> If it is not good to waste the time of the power and
> second tier users on such matters, could we have a
> separate listserv or a SUBJECT line warning that
> would allow us to move along up to those levels
> eventually through learning from each other?  Or is
> there some other way to build a community for us?
>
> Woody

Express yourself: design your homepage the way you want it with Live.com.
http://www.live.com/getstarted