Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: testing if distribution is negative binomial

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: testing if distribution is negative binomial
Date   Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:06:00 +0100

None of this is necessary at all.

You don't need to have covariates to use -nbreg-.
Therefore, in principle the answer is just to
use -nbreg-, as you are fitting a distribution,
but without covariates.

In practice, there are various ways of parameterising
the negative binomial, and the parameterisation used
by -nbreg-, for good reasons, may differ from whatever
parameterisation you are accustomed to.

This problem is again no problem, as -nlcom- makes it
quite easy to map from one parameterisation to another.

Alternatively, for example, -nbfit- from SSC by Roberto
Gutierrez and myself is a worked example of code to use
one parameterisation common in ecology, with a worked
example in the help.

Radu Ban