Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: testing if distribution is negative binomial

From   "Radu Ban" <>
Subject   st: testing if distribution is negative binomial
Date   Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:51:52 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I have a variable and I would like to test whether its distribution
can be assumed to be negative binomial.

The one way I thought to do this, is to generate a true negative
binomial distribution and to compare then the two distributions
through a chi-squared test. However, I wasn't able to find a random
number generator that gives a negative binomial distribution (the
-rnd- that I found doesn't have this option). Does anyone have any

Thanks a lot for this,
Radu Ban