Re: st: Recoding missing variables

Subject   Re: st: Recoding missing variables
Date   Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:08:53 -0500

At 09:44 AM 7/16/2006, David Kantor wrote:

This is probably what you had in mind, but this has the slight "problem" that as you tweak your covariate set, the observation set may change as well.
If you want to make sure you are analyzing the same cases throughout, you can do something like

gen touse = !missing(y1, y2, x1, x2, x3, x4)
reg y1 x1 x2 x3 if touse
reg y2 x2 x3 x4 if touse

The variable touse will be coded 1 for those cases with no missing data, 0 otherwise.

Incidentally, we are talking about listwise deletion of missing data here. That is probably the most common and as good or better as many of the suggested alternatives. But, if you want to get a little fancier, check out -findit ice- or maybe some of the other routines that show up when you type -findit impute-. I'd like to see Stata come up with some more built-in utilities of its own rather than have the burden mostly fall to user-written routines.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]