Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Testing for difference between two medians

From   Ashwin Ananthakrishnan <>
Subject   st: Testing for difference between two medians
Date   Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:13:28 -0700 (PDT)

I have the outcome variable in a research project as
the waiting time, which is a continuos variable.
However it is a skewed distribution and therefore I
would like to use the medians instead of means. If I
want to compare the median waiting time between
different subgroups, for example male vs. female, or
low income vs. medium income vs. high income, how do I
go about doing that?

To my understanding the t-test or anova looks only for
differences in the means. In case of a skewed
distribution, is it appropriate to use them for this

Do You Yahoo!?