Re: st: estout for version 8.0?

Subject   Re: st: estout for version 8.0?
Date   Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:06:24 -0500

At 03:11 AM 7/15/2006, Clive Nicholas wrote:
Sorry for such a violent reaction, but I really am getting fed up of
reading posts from people who don't check updates on their Stata
religiously - despite it being such an easy thing to get into the habit of
doing - and come on here wondering why they have a problem. Type -update
all- when you launch Stata before you do anything else. Indeed, in the
case of Ben Jann's -estout- and other user-written packages, typing
-adoupdate(, update)- would be a better bet.
My first question on Statalist was something to the effect of "How come Stataquest doesn't work when I haven't installed it?" Luckily for me, Vince Wiggins fielded it first and mercifully explained how Stata had this miraculous capability to add new programs to itself. It took me about 4 or 5 tries to get the question posted though, until Marcello explained to me that there was this thing called "styled text" that I had to avoid. I thought perhaps Statalist had a way to filter out stupid questions, but Marcello explained that, regretfully, this was not the case.

Basic questions can be a little annoying. But, I suspect that in many cases they are posted by people who joined the list just the day before. Hopefully with a little socialization, they will become productive members of society, just like Clive and I have become. :)

So personally, I don't mind the occasional basic question from a person whose name I don't recall seeing much before. Serial offenders are a different matter; after a very short while, people should learn to read the FAQ, check the archives, and even just try things out for themselves. (Whenever somebody says "Will this or that command work" - I always wonder, well, why don't you type it in and see!)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]