st: Sudden unstability

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Sudden unstability
Date   Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:01 -0500

Over the last two weeks, my installation of Stata has suddenly become
totally unstable.  It crashes frequently, particularly if anything
involving graphics is involved.  After over a decade of rock-solid
performance and no difficulties, I'm truly baffled.  I've tried
installing on two different machines and have the same problem.

I have an email in with tech support and I'm not asking for debugging
help.  I would be very interested in knowing, however, if anyone else
has suddenly had problems recently.  Maybe there is some obvious, recent
trigger common to multiple folks having trouble.

I'm running the latest Stata 9.2 executable on Windoze XP SP2.  I keep a
fairly paranoid machine in terms of firewalls, anti-spyware and
anti-virus, but I actually stripped all those off one machine just to
check--no help.  I tend to apply Windows patches within a day or two of
their release, so I'm pretty current on that front-be that for good or
bad.

So, does this sound eerily familiar to anyone?

Thanks and best wishes.

Glenn Hoetker