st: How to prevent truncated string in macro expression

From   "Grealy, Patrick J" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to prevent truncated string in macro expression
Date   Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:06:26 -0500

Hi,
I am having trouble with the limit for string lengths in expressions and
have not been able to find the solution. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere
and suspect it involves using the colon(:) instead of equals(=) method.
Here's the relevant section of code from my .ado file for a program
that, among other things, attempts to count the number of missings for
any of the input variables:

local temp4=subinstr("`varlist'"," ",",",.)
quietly count if missing(`temp4') & `touse'

I replace spaces in varlist with commas and save in a local macro and
use it as the argument for the missing function. This works fine until I
use too many variables and exceed the string limit. Can someone help me
with a method to get the macro to include the entire string?

Thanks,
Pat G.