st: Conveniently comparing two datasets?

From   "Anderson, Bradley J" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Conveniently comparing two datasets?
Date   Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:13:18 -0400

We routinely double enter questionnaire data and run comparisons to check
for data entry errors.  We've been using proc compare in SAS and we've
largely automated the process so that we generate an Excel file with
subject_id, variable name, variable label, and responses from first and
second entry.  Only inconsistent responses are generated.  The format is
very convenient for RAs to use in the data cleaning process.  The output
from cf, cf2, cf3, and compdta are much less convenient.  This is about all
we use SAS for and we'd like to become SAS free.  I've tried searching on
different key words but have not found other solutions.  Does anyone know of
any Stata programs that would allow us to generate a data file with the
following structure?

subject_id varname var_label response1 response2

Response1 and Response2 are the inconsistent responses to varname from first
and second entry, respectively.  Thank you very much!

Brad Anderson