Re: st: how to keep first four figures of a variable

From   Philipp Rehm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to keep first four figures of a variable
Date   Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:39:37 +0200

This may work:
gen new=real(substr(string(original),1,4))

(I don't know how hypothetical your numbers are, but if your variable
"original" reports dates, check out -help date functions- to extract,
say, the year).

HTH,
Philipp