RE: st: RE: Graph twoway: Multiple axis and order of plots

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Graph twoway: Multiple axis and order of plots
Date   Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:13:38 +0100

My idea is that Stata [sic] gave you what you asked
for. Without knowing what you want -- and that is
different -- I can't comment easily. Perhaps you
want something like

. twoway bar mpg rep78, yaxis(1 2)  yla(18 "1.8" 28 "2.8", axis(2))
|| line mpg rep78, yla(20 30, axis(1))

Peter Uhrmacher

> adding yaxis(1 2) was part of the solution, I only had yaxis(2) and
> axis(2) in my code. However, there is still a minor problem left:
>
> If I add
>
> gen mpg2=mpg/10
>
> to your example
>
> and then do this (i.e. just use the newly created mpg2 instead of mpg
> for the bars and divide the labels (i.e. the range) by 10 as well)
>
> twoway bar mpg2 rep78, yaxis(1 2) yla(1.8(.2)2.8, axis(2)) ||
> line mpg
> rep78, yla(20 30, axis(1))
>
> STATA uses the same range of values for the left and right
> axis. Any ideas?

Peter Uhrmacher

Nick Cox wrote:

>  > There is no concrete code to comment on here. I did this:
>  > . sysuse auto, clear (1978 Automobile Data)
>  >
>  > . collapse mpg, by(rep78)
>  > . l
>  >
>  >      +-----------------+
>  >      | rep78       mpg |
>  >      |-----------------|
>  >   1. |     1        21 |
>  >   2. |     2    19.125 |
>  >   3. |     3   19.4333 |
>  >   4. |     4   21.6667 |
>  >   5. |     5   27.3636 |
>  >      |-----------------|
>  >   6. |     .      21.4 |
>  >
>  > . twoway bar mpg rep78, yaxis(1 2) yla(18(2)28, axis(2))
> || line mpg
> rep78, yla(20 30, axis(1))
>  >
>  > and the line plot is on top of the bar plot, and I have
> two separate
> axes. Does that help?

Peter Uhrmacher