Re: st: Software for Epidemiological, Longitudinal Data

From   Sebastian Baumeister <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Software for Epidemiological, Longitudinal Data
Date   Thu, 06 Jul 2006 13:44:00 +0200

Hi Andrea:

Here is a review of statistical packages:
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/ucla_ATSstat_tr1_1.0.pdf
http://www.stata.com/whystata/

Certainly, SAS is the package that is most widespread in medicine (at least in Europe). But Stata is becoming more and more accepted among epidemiological/ public health researchers. Just check the top-notch journals (as measured by the impact factor ;) ) and you will find a lot of papers using Stata (eg, Jama, 2006,295(6):676-80).

Sebastian

Andrea Meyer schrieb:

Hello

We are a team working on a prospective psychological study. The study design is based on assessing data of three generations of humans over a long time period, wherein epidemiological as well as biological data will be assessed. Sample sizes will range from about 100 to several thousand depending on the research question.

Currently we are looking for an apropriate statistical package. Here are some features that the software should have:

- strong in the analysis of epidemiological and longitudinal data

- platform independent (should run under different operating systems like Windows, Mac OS, Unix)

- Ease of use for non-statistic-professionals (i.e. userfriendly GUI)

- High acceptance by scientific journals, by the FDA

- Importance relative to other packages with respect to the number of users, the number of publications in which the software is used, the market share etc. (including the recent development of these indices!)

As we had some problems in finding information concerning these items we would like to ask you where we might find it (if at all) and why Stata is presumably the best competitor and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions concerning this!