RE: st: updating Stata

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: updating Stata
Date   Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:58:27 -0500

At 07:50 AM 7/4/2006, b. water wrote:
in addition to what kit had said, there are two other parameters that dealt with internet gateway in terms of connection and coneection timed-out. the fact that you can get some of the earlier files meant that the
This updating problem was extremely common with Stata 8 (the list used to get messages on it all the time.) Somewhat to my surprise, I also encountered it when my grad student tried to update his copy of Stata 9 on a campus networked machine. I don't know what causes it, but my experience has been that, once you do an initial manual update, you don't have problems with subsequent uses of the update commands.

Luckily, manual updates aren't that hard to do; the biggest problem is that people don't know how to do them. Perhaps the help files or the error messages for update could point users in the right direction, e.g. the error messages could say that if the update fails, try it again, and if it still fails go to http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata9.html.

The wording on that page could also be broadened a bit - it is for those who do not have Internet access or who are otherwise having problems with getting their Stata updated.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]