Re: st: superposed rolled windows

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: superposed rolled windows
Date   Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:41:33 -0400

On Jun 27, 2006, at 12:05 PM, irodriguez wrote:

Michael, in your command:
tsset Firms Years // Declare data as a panel
forval i = 1/3 {
local j = `i'-1
gen Profit`i' = F`j'.Profit
}
drop if missing(Profit3)

what is the significate of 1/3, because in the reality i need to make
superposed rolled windows for 5 years and I want to know if I have to change the command and consider 1/5
Yes, the "3" in "1/3" represents the number of years you specified in your earlier message. You could try the following:

tsset Firms Years // Declare data as a panel
local m 5 // Maximum number of years for "rolled windows"
forval i = 1/`m' {
local j = `i'-1
gen Profit`i' = F`j'.Profit
}
drop if missing(Profit`m')

Notice that in addition to the -local- command, the -forval- and - drop- commands have changed vis-a-vis the quoted example. If you decide to go back to a 3-year "superposed rolled windows" (in increase it to, say, 6), you can just change the "5" in the second line to the desired number of years, and the rest of your code will run as intended. (At least as far as I understand what you intend.)