Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Re: doubt on panel data estimation

From   "David W. Harless" <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: doubt on panel data estimation
Date   Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:41:33 -0400

Rodrigo A. Alfaro wrote:
Dear M Parameswaran
There is a "new" literature about estimating fixed-effects in nonlinear
models. Several paper of J. Hahn, but I recommend to start with a good survey by M. Arellano and J. Hahn (2006) "Understanding Bias in Nonlinear panel Models" (should be available on-line).

The paper that Rodrigo refers to is available here:

Dave Harless

----- Original Message ----- From: "M.Parameswaran" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:36 AM
Subject: st: doubt on panel data estimation

Dear Friends,

I am a researcher at Centre for Development Studies, Kerala, India. I
have a panel data on manufacturing firms for six years. I want to
estimate a tobit model using this data. I understand that consistent
estimation of random effect tobit model requires strict exogeneity of
the regressors, which is not valid in my data set; current value of
the depended variable affects future value of regressors. Another
option is to use pooled estimation that ignore firm's specific
effects. I would be highly grateful if you could give your advice on
the choice between these two estimates or some other better methods.
Looking forward to your response,
Thanking you,
M Parameswaran